Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Pie Time - Part Twenty Seven

Tonight is pie making night.

Alli and I both had to work today and then we have to work on Friday, which eliminates any chance of getting home to Ohio, just like last year. Also like last year, we have some great friends who also can't make it home, who invited us over for Thanksgiving dinner. They have a few other couples coming over, so it was decided we were going to have a pie baking contest. Alli and I want to double our chances of winning, so we're each making a pie.

My pie is one of my Mom's old recipes, called Colonial Innkeeper's Pie. It has a flour/pastry/cake  level, which has a chocolate layer poured over it before it goes in the oven. The chocolate cooks down through the body of the cake layer and then settles into a bottom layer. Oh my, so very good.

Alli's pie is a Pumpkin Pecan Pie. Exactly as it sounds, it's a pumpkin pie with a pecan pie top. We haven't tried this before, but we love both of those individually, so we can only imagine it's going to be awesome.

Off to do the toothpick test.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kimmy said...

Sounds amazing! Man, I love pie!

12:14 AM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Agreed! The pecan pumpkin sounds like heaven! I did three chocolate cream, 2 banana and 2 coconut, and 2 of the famous banana split desserts. JUST in whipping cream, I tallied up 17,600 calories. Omg.

I just love thanksgiving!

2:07 AM  
Blogger Kyle said...

As Wetherald men have been saying for generations, there are only two kinds of pie I'll eat: with ice cream and without ice cream.

I think your pies qualify.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Also called Funny Cake by the Pennsylvania Dutch, where your Dad and I fell in love with it. My all time favorite. A piece please....

Make one when I come down again and I'll judge it for you. Love, Mom

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home