Tuesday, November 06, 2012

24 days Überbleibsel

Alli is on her way to vote. (I voted early; last week.) She may have worked all day, this state may already be decided, but it is very important to her that she cast her vote. While I can get political from time to time, she is more than me ten-fold. Don't get her going unless you're ready for an intense conversation. Her passion for what drives politics and law is impressive.

I've never told anyone here or on CPS, or even with my friends, who I vote for. And I don't plan on making a change to that stance tonight either. I will say, I've never missed voting in a Presidential election and have only missed one local, primary, or non-presidential election opportunity since I was eighteen years old. I see voting as something we are granted as a privilege and a gracious chance to speak out in support of Democracy. I will never spit on someones choice to evade voting, but I just don't get it. I have multiple friends in other countries, and I see those countries (and so many others) who don't have this kind of freedom and I shake my head in confusion why people here in the United States of America who don't see it as important.

I know there's only a few people reading blogs these days, but I have to voice my opinion and annoyance if you're reading this and didn't vote. I get busy lives and extenuating circumstances, but this affects your future and the future of your family. Even if you don't vote for a President, the local choices affect you on a personal level. At the very least do your research on those races and vote for them.

Off my soapbox. Now to sit back with some popcorn and beer and try to figure out what our country will look like tomorrow morning.

4 Comments:

Blogger Adrienne said...

My vocab is growing. Thanks.

1:15 AM  
Blogger Kyle said...

Since you've stepped off of your soap box, I'll take a turn stepping onto it.

I voted, but here's a reason why I might not have:

The two-party political system in this country SUCKS. By the time election day comes every four years in November, you basically have two choices: Sucky and Suckier.

I don't want Sucky to be president and I certainly don't want Suckier! Boo!

Perhaps one would argue that I don't have to vote Republican or Democrat and could vote for a Libertarian or Green Party candidate, or any number of the tiny parties that have popped up along the way.

That vote just feels futile and depressing. Third party candidates don't have a chance. The Democrat and Republican parties have gotten so big and rich that smaller parties can't compete. They cant get TV ads. They can't get into the debates. They often can't even get on the ballot. Even when they do get on the ballot they end up with around 0% of the votes.

Call me cynical if I don't vote, but don't call me lazy. I just don't buy into the idea that my vote counts when the reality is that what "counts" is who can raise the most money for their campaign, get the most media coverage, or get backed by the most corporations, celebrities, etc.

Honestly, if I have to just settle for the lesser of two evils, I don't want my vote to count!





5:20 PM  
Blogger Kyle said...

I will say that I am very thankful for the freedom I have to be able to call the politicians in my country "Sucky" and "Suckier" with little consequence.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

YAY!!! Finally a comment from outside the tri-fecta of Kimmy and Adrienne and me. And some good fodder for conversation at that. :) Unfortunately I'm done with political crap, and I can't argue with your comments/opinions, so I don't have much to add to the convo. LOL!!!

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home