Monday, October 15, 2012

My favorite car ever

A few years ago I was sitting around with some friends discussing the phenomenon of OCD. Admitting everyone has a little OCD in them led to each person in the room trying to figure out what their individual ugly/funny sides were. My friend Chris had a particularly memorable one involving cars. He shared, "Whenever I hit a pot hole with one side of my car, I feel a strong need to hit one with the other side of the car." We had a fun night swapping crazies, but that was the only one that stuck with me.

Even all these years later, I still smile a little when I hit a pothole. Okay, a very little smile, but it's there. Anyway, as I was driving home the other day I was thinking about my own car habits with my beloved Volkswagen GTI VR6. While most of them aren't necessarily OCD (or maybe they are), they are still a little funny and unique. Here's a few of them:

Windows...
  • When the temperature is in the 50's outside, the driver's side window is down a few inches
  • In the 60's, both windows down a few inches
  • 70's, Driver's side all the way down and passenger side down a few inches
  • 80's and above, both windows down all the way
Smells...
  • When I bought the car brand new off the lot, a burning smell caused me to wonder who was burning leaves in their yard
  • Around 50,000 miles, the same smell caused me to look around for a junky car possibly on fire 
  • 100,000 miles, Could that be my car that smells so bad? Nah.
  • 150,000 miles, Wow, my car smells like it's not doing good.
  • 200,000 miles, Great, what's on fire now?
  • 200,000+, I think I can make it home before the fire catches the rest of the car on fire.
Numbers...
  • I used to wash my car once a week but it hasn't been washed one time since living in NC.
  • In the first six years I owned my GTI I put 190,000 miles on it. In the following three years, only 26,000. That's less than any single year of those first six.
  • The GTI gets the best gas mileage over 55 mph. So much for that ol' wives tale.
  • The other day there were seven idiot lights lit up on the dash. It looked like an x-mas tree.
  • To the best of my memory, at least ten people have learned how to drive standard in that car.
That was fun. :)

7 Comments:

Blogger Swedish Mama said...

Cool. Especially the part about teaching people to drive stick. Can I send Isaac down? I think he is ready. (Don't tell his mom)

8:26 AM  
Blogger Sweet Peripety said...

driving standard, something i do not know how to do, wish i had learned that in your car. lol.

8:09 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

I learned to drive standard in that car. A couple other people had attempted to teach me in other vehicles, but none of it stuck till Sam put me in the driver's seat on a country road and said let's go. I dont know if it was the car or the instructor, but it stuck, and I love standard now!

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Leisa Dreps said...

Wow, you and your GTI have been through a lot! It’s amazing to find out that at least TEN people learned how to drive in that car. This clearly means that you took care of the car well, and you were rewarded with very fond memories. Thanks for sharing your experience, Sam!

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's very easy to find out any topic on net as compared to textbooks, as I found this article at this site.
Stop by my page - Police Auction Page

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Ellsworth Mciltrot said...

It’s endearing how you treat your GTI like a friend or a part of you. OCD or not, those little things that you mentioned are the marks of your friendship with your car. It’s sort of like how best friends have a secret handshake or a code word. These are things that you share only with your GTI, which have kept your friendship strong.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Stelle said...

I see you have a very deep connection with your car, Sam. When you feel like you need to do something with it, you do it. I don’t think it’s OCD at all. I think you are the type of car owner that knows his car a little too well. It’s not a bad thing, though! Learning that ten people learned how to drive using your car is incredibly impressive. =D

Stelle Courney

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home