Thursday, June 07, 2012

Now that you're here...

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is a musical often played out by high school students or in fancy dinner theatres, but started as a classic film from the 1950’s. It tells the story of a young lady who finds what she thinks is love-at-first-sight, only to find out shortly after her wedding that that love is more like indentured servitude. One of the most famous lines in the movie appears shortly after the new bride finds out she will have to care for not only her husband, but also his six adult brothers who all live in the same house.

The husband starts listing what her new role as wife will entail:
--“We’re kind of hard on clothes so there’s a lot of mending and sewing to be done. But now that you’re here…”
--“The house really needs cleaned up. But now that you’re here…”
--“We get mighty hungry after a day's work. But…”

“Now that I’m here…” she says, interrupting the man she now thinks much less of.

My new boss has said, “Now that you’re here…” to me at least five times a day over the last three days. It got to be too much to hide my laughter so I told her about the movie reference and we were able to share the humor together. The bank I’m working for now has been through a really rough time in this town the last year or so, and my new boss, herself only four months in the branch, is looking to my experience and expertise to fix the reputation and help see it into a new place in the community.

Please don’t take my movie reference to suggest I’m not happy with the new-found job requirements and expectations; I’m super excited to be a part of that goal. The pressure of being the branch’s saving grace sounds like a heavy burden, but I’m not concerned. This isn’t my first time working under pressure, so really, what is there to fear? Now that I’m here...

:)

1 Comments:

Blogger Swedish Mama said...

so glad you are looking at your job with this attitude, I am sure you and the bank will suceed with gold stars. (Sorry, can't think of any movie one liners.) thanks for the phone call today, and Allie will get some new towels as soon as I get things undercontrol, oh what--that is a long way off. I put them high on my list. Love, MOM

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home