Wednesday, November 23, 2011

I'm getting old

Well, not me exactly, but my existence and those in it. At least that's how I felt tonight. On the biggest party night of the year, not a single one of my friends wanted to party. One of my couple friends has always thrown a Thanksgiving-eve party, but this year the husband was feeling the effects of a cold and decided a party wasn't in the cards. I sent out multiple emails and text messages asking who else was doing something, or even wanted to come over to my house, and except one invite to go to dinner, I got no responses. Grrr.....

While I would never be so selfish to ask someone to abandon their family just to provide me with a good time, I have to admit I was annoyed at the lack of anyone wanting to hang out. I guess my circle of friends just isn't into that kind of thing anymore.

It's been interesting seeing this phase of my life through the eyes of my 22 year old Lady. She is a wonderful creature who is fully willing to accept all of my friends as her own, but in that experience, she has noticed that at my stage of life (and the corresponding stages of my friends' lives) that most everyone is married with kids. While she loves kids and is great with them (she has five younger siblings, in fact,) she has none of her own and in hanging out with my friends, she isn't getting to experience those friends as just themselves, but rather as parents. She likes and accepts my friends, but it's clear she has missed out on knowing them as I once knew them. She's never once complained about that and I'm certain she doesn't care, but it's something I can't help wishing she had been able to experience about me and about them.

So, I just feel like I'm getting old, that's all. And I wanted to party tonight, that's all. :)

6 Comments:

Blogger Adrienne said...

I must've been born old 'cause I never knew the eve of Thanksgiving was the biggest party night of the year - heck, I didn't even know it was a party night!

2:01 AM  
Blogger Kimmy said...

I didn't know Thanksgiving eve was party night either, but I completely get this post.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Andrew said...

Should have been in FW! Kyle through an awesome show that we Dj'd after-at the Dash in. I'm not old.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

Rub it in, jerk.

5:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang out?? Haven't done that since I got married with 3 kids..too busy working and being a parent..totally understand

6:45 PM  
Blogger Kyle said...

Ghost

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home