Wednesday, May 04, 2011

What was the best thing about your day, today?

That was the question posed by my friend Dave tonight at our so-called, "church" community. He asked it as we sat down to dinner. The hosts for the evening, Steve and Vicki, shared a similar practice they've done with their kids as they were growing up. We worked our way around the table and everyone shared their best experience of the day. (Mine was making a trip to Tabetha's house during my lunch break to spend a little time with her.)

I was intrigued enough with the idea that when I got home I called my Dad and asked him the same question; unsure of what good experience he could possibly have had spending the day in a nursing home. I was surprised to hear him say he had two good experiences. First, my Mom visited with him for two and a half hours. Second, he sat up on the edge of his bed for the second time in a week; a big deal for someone who's been laying down for almost a year.

I love this question for a few reasons. I love what it does to a community by allowing everyone to experience in everyone else's pleasure. I love what it does to a personal psyche by continuing the good vibes of an individual moment in a sometimes too-long day. And I love the idea of focusing on one experience versus the easier route of focusing on the junk that usually overrides our thought processes.

So I ask each and every person reading this... What was the best thing about your day, today? Please answer it, as much for me and others as for yourself. Post your comment as anonymous if you'd rather remain so. But answer it. Please.

What was the best thing about your day, today?

13 Comments:

Blogger Adrienne said...

Could go two ways...I pulled together a bit for my annual newsletter I'm really pleased with. Adam & I sat at the table reminiscing about the road trip we were on 8 years while the children laughed and played - NICELY.

Pretty great stuff.

11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best thing about my day was logging my students grades online and realizing I was done for the semester. ....or at least 2 weeks until I start summer classes. What a great feeling!

2:50 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

I got to wake up this morning and love and hug my kids. Not everyone gets to do that. I don't get to do it everyday. But today I needed to hug them and hold them. And the fact that they were both sitting on the bathroom floor playing with the kittens when I got out of the shower was a nice way to start my day.

Thank you for this question. Sometimes it's hard to see the good when it seems like there is so much sorrow surrounding you. I will use this question as a daily reminder that I need to have an attitude of gratitude. Thank You!!

Love You!!!

9:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

this is a great question, Sam. i try to ask the kids this often. (and i love the idea of asking myself!) today... so far, the best thing, is that dave's EKG came back clear.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

C'mon Angela, Karin, Melissa, Kyle... I caught you lurking but not responding. I'd love to see your "best" moment.

7:46 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

:) having friends and family surround me and support me when I choose to go out on a limb take a risk and spend the morning on tv. Sorry I couldn't visit when you were in today - glad you got to meet my girl , she's one of the very best things about my day EVERY day ! :)

9:04 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Thanks, Jenny. And thanks to everyone else who's commented so far. In the two days since I originally posted this, I've made it a point to ask this question to at least one person. I really think this is an amazing question and I love sharing with all of you. Keep the answers coming.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Swedish Mama said...

When your Dad and I were in the early years of our marriage our best friends at the time, gave us a plate that stated: 'Happiness shared is happiness doubled. Sorrow shared is sorrow halved.' Have found both of those statements true over and over, as you did Wednesday night. Some great posts, am looking forward to those that will be posted in the next few days.

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This morning while running errands, I saw a sign at the local church that said get rich quick....count your blessings. Then the rest of the day, my blessings did add up fast once I started to count them.

5:07 PM  
Blogger HennHouse said...

Today (5/8/11), the best thing about my day is a visit with my favorite brother. He always shows up and has my kids in stitches from the moment he shows up. He asked for a chocolate beer for breakfast (I made him tea); he let Esther-Faith wrap her hair around his finger to "heal" it; he chased Isaac around and made him feel special; and he convinced Isaiah that tattoos are the coolest thing ever. He and Tim even had a "my camping stove is better than your camping stove" contest on my kitchen island.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Andrew said...

Ever since you told me this I have been using it. A good way to reflect on he day, especially the positives.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

I love that I have a bible app on my ipod. What a great aid for me!!!

4:12 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

Hundreds of Praying Mantuses that grew overnight and crawled on Jackson and I and looked him straight in the face. Seeing the Glory of God revealed is amazing!!!

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home