Sunday, March 06, 2011

Announcements, Announcements, Annowwwwwncements

In this season of change I'm living through, I decided it was time I got around to doing a few things on my, "Life List". The biggest thing on that list, and the one that would cause the most radical change to what my current situation looks like, is my dream of thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail. Well folks, I'm doing it.

With a drop-dead-date of St. Patrick's Day next year, 03/17/2012, I'll be hiking the AT. It's easy to say that and another thing altogether to make it happen. Here's a few of the major things that are slated to happen/change in anticipation of this adventure...
  • Selling the house
  • Selling/Gifting most of my possessions
  • Saving a bunch of money
  • Quitting my job
  • Losing at least 50 more pounds

Most of those things "must" happen before the dream can be realized, but there's a bit of wiggle room built into every item. Wiggle room or not, this is huge deal and I'm really excited. This past year hasn't been my finest hour, and while this isn't an attempt to compensate for that, it is something that will move me into the next stage of my life. I've wanted this for a long time, and now seems like the best time to pursue it.

My family and friends have had a lot of questions (and probably have many more), but for the most part have been supportive. I don't need their support but it's nice to have it versus opposition.

I'm in the process of setting up my own website so that people can follow me on the AT using trail journals, as well as still be able to follow ELEVEN. I think I'll include a link to buy my book and a few other fun things as well. I see the website being a one-stop-shop for all things Sam. When I get it up I'll let you know. Outside of that, let the questions begin. What do you want to know about this announcement? Questions... Concerns... whatever... I'll answer anything you ask.

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

VERY cool sam. no questions from me. just admiration :)

1:17 PM  
Blogger Sweet Peripety said...

Now THAT is just plain awesome. You're awesome! I can't wait for all the plans to get set and you to start!

9:20 PM  
Blogger Melissa Blair said...

Good for you Sam! Can't wait to follow your journey as you prepare and go on your adventure!

9:43 PM  
Blogger Kyle said...

when will you be at mile 257? how about mile 786? I expect exact times.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Very cool - Personally, I'd rather spend my money on fine dining and luxurious accommodations, but luckily I can *almost* experience thru-hiking the app trail vicariously through you! Without the blisters. =p

1:50 AM  
Blogger Swedish Mama said...

Announcements.....Wacky Wednesday at Col Naz. Love good memories.

Have lots of questions and concerns, did you expect anything else? I am your Mom.

Love you.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I think it's awesome Sam!!
I think we go through life with so many worries and burdens that we lose sight of enjoying the world that God has given us. I'm so excited for you and I can't wait to follow your journey!

12:50 PM  
Blogger ChelChel said...

Sam!

This is awesome!!

I will be on your team for the losing weight, I HAVE to for my health! I WANT to for the wedding, so for both reasons, I am motivated, any way I can support you, etc. let me know...and I hope to call on you for advice as well!

GO, GO , GO!!!!

Chel

12:41 PM  
Blogger *Austin Mommy* said...

As a Risk-Taker by nature, I tend to get excited about something and just jump into it without asking all those silly question...now, while I believe that some questions might be good for some people, I am ALL FOR YOU doing this and completely support this adventure without question. (Not that you NEED my support...but I AM super excited for you!) I too shall be hiking vicariously through you! :)

WHOO-HOO!!

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home