Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Long Winter

That's the book I'm almost done with. It was written by Laura Ingalls Wilder, better known for Little House On The Prairie fame. I've read the series of books she wrote every decade I've been alive. (To be honest, my Mom read them to me when I was too young to read.) I thought this winter was a great time to read the series for my 30's decade.

As I've said before, I truly feel the timeframe between the Civil War and World War I was one of the most honest, real times in America's history. Surviving was the profession most people did for a living, and that's exactly what they did, just try to live. Everything was deliberate and real. People respected other people and manners and God with an honesty not since matched. It was dangerous and exciting all at the same time. Of course there were bad examples of men and respect, but for the most part, that time was filled with people pursuing a better life and a better nation; albiet with the harsh reality of suffering and hardship. I truly feel it was the golden age of America.

And so tonight --as one of those soft snows that make me appreciate this season I usually detest-- falls across Ohio, I plan on finishing The Long Winter as I sit beside my warm, glowing fire, smoking my pipe, and envisioning what it would be like to live in that simpler era. I'm off to read.

4 Comments:

Blogger Melissa Blair said...

I LOVE that series!!!! I too have read them often since I was a child. In fact, I read my first set so much that the books got too worn to hold the pages, and Jeff had to buy me a new set. My favorite is By the Shores of Silver Lake. Especially the part when Laura and Carrie decide to go outside to slide on the ice in the middle of the night during the winter. I can just imagine the moonlight on the snow in the open and endless world they were living in.
I have started reading the books to my Cassie! I think she loves them as much as I do.

1:28 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

My favorite book in the series was/is These Happy Golden Years. I love Laura Ingles Wilder.

You are such a cool guy Sam! Thought you should be reminded of that.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Swedish Mama said...

Great books. My bus buddy, Ann Lundgren introduced me to them. Maybe I'll get them down after I finish reading the book "Deadline" with your Dad. Maybe read them to the grandkids......

10:37 PM  
Blogger Tim J. said...

This is a family favorite! I also blogged about it a year or two ago.

http://timothyjones.typepad.com/old_world_swine/2008/01/kid-lit-recomme.html

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home