Friday, June 26, 2009

A week of new things

The first place to start is my job. As of last Sunday I submitted my resignation and official notice from the non-profit I've been working at the last six months. I know it sounds like a crazy decision after I was so jazzed to leave the banking world, but the position just wasn't for me. Not the place, not the ministries, not the co-workers, but the job itself. As much as I was honored to be stepping into an organization I'd had an interest and stake in, literally from the day it started twenty one years ago, I could never find my way into it's business structure. It didn't help I was hired to be a Fiscal Director and have never taken a single accounting class in my life. But I had really, truly hoped I could pick it up quickly and make a difference there. It wasn't to be. While I couldn't be more supportive of the ministries they carry out, I just wasn't qualified for the position. I decided to stop ignoring that and step down.

The question I've gotten from almost everyone I've told is, "Do you have somewhere to go; another job?" Yes. Just as crazy as the decision to resign must seem to some of you, the fact that I'm going back into banking will be just as confusing. But I didn't leave the bank because I hated banking or I wasn't good at it; the exact opposite is true. I love what banking is and I was really dang good at it. So at least for a while I'm going to go back to that world. It's what I know, even if it doesn't fit the image that most people have of me.

The second new thing for me (us) was a visit Ell and I got to make to our friend's house Thursday night. They own this amazing house in Youngstown and even though they've lived there for a few years, we've never connected with them for a visit. We had a great night hanging out with them, and we L-O-V-E their house. I could sit in that house for years and still be amazed how beautiful it is. But I'm a sucker for old houses with character. Thanks for the invite, the conversation, and the fellowship. It was one of those nights you know you'll remember for the rest of your life.

The last new thing this week was quite a shocker. I opened my email Wednesday morning and was greeted with an invite from Twitter that boldly stated my father had joined the Twittering world. If you knew my father you'd know, even the name would be silly to him, let alone the concept. I don't doubt at all that he's made fun of the word Twitter more times than he can count. But shocking as it is, my Dad's on Twitter. Wonder's never cease, I guess. Now if only I could figure out how to follow him on it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Adrienne said...

I don't quite get the Friday Funny, I guess...

Oh well. (S)He who laughs last -laughs loudest- is the slowest.

I hope this new jobs leaves more time for blogging. I was about to call your boss and tell them they must work you too hard.

2:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Back to banking eh? Sometimes the trails Jesus leads us on are confusing at best but I'm glad you are staying the course. I gathered from your writing that you have a peace about it (hope i'm on the right track)

is this the same bank? same type of job??

If you love older houses you need to visit someday Charleston is full of them!

happy Saturday.

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish you were back at your old bank. You are missed at NCB T-town. Really, really missed. Keep in touch, your favorite

12:18 PM  
Blogger Sweet Peripety said...

good luck..will be praying as you start a new job, sam. it's a windy road sometimes..

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your blog from Kimmy's blog.I enjoy reading your posts and Friday Funnies.

Keep on truckin'!

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home