Monday, March 16, 2009

My holiday

Ahhh, the wearing of the green. Dontcha love it? I know I do.
Here are some of the ways I've been able to celebrate this year.


1) I was asked and was able to host this past month's beer school in honor of my Irishness. The theme I chose, of course, was Irish and Irish-style brews. Quite a treat.

2) I've been listening to Celtic music for weeks, including the heavy rotation of an Irish-Drinking songs CD my (non drinking) parents bought me.

3) My favorite beer in the whole world is a seasonal that just happens to be a St. Patrick's Day seasonal from Great Lakes. (Conway's Irish Ale.) That in itself is worthy of a holiday.

4) My wife shaved a shamrock in my hair; well, as good as you can with hair. It goes well with my red beard and has prompted many a Leprechaun comment as well as a few sideways glances from people at building-church and at work.


5) I got to drive through the beginnings of the Boardman St. Patty's Day parade yesterday. It brought much joy to my heart to see so much green.

6) There hasn't been a day in over a week I haven't worn green.

7) My dear sister (the non-blood one) bought me knee-high leggings in Ireland's colors and with shamrocks on each side. You've never seen an Irishman until you've seen one in his underwear with knee-high leggings on. Of that you can be sure.

And although my Bible study is tomorrow night, I'll still be celebrating with some Conway's Ale and my guys as we watch the mini series, Band of Brothers. It'll be grand. A special shout out to my Dad and my friend, Kimmy. Here's hoping you both have a great St. Patrick's Day. I leave you with this Celtic prayer...
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh!
Good health and every good blessing to you!
And one of my favorite Celtic blessings to all the rest of you...
May you have
Walls for the wind
And a roof for the rain
And drinks bedside the fire
Laughter to cheer you
And those you love near you,
And all that your heart may desire

4 Comments:

Blogger Kimmy said...

I LOVE that picture! It makes me incredibly happy.

Thanks for the St. Patrick's Day wishes! I'm hoping to get past this coughing/sickness by tomorrow so I can enjoy the day proper!

Slainte!

1:26 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

I forgot to add that my wonderful mother sent me an Irish door hanging that reads WELCOME with each letter sewn onto an individual shamrock. Isn't she awesome?!

12:29 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

I gotta say...that's one crazy-cool head!

7:37 PM  
Blogger HennHouse said...

http://beeractivist.wordpress.com/2009/03/13/green-beer-coming-from-the-tap/

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home