Monday, March 23, 2009

My Friday the 13th

Ell and I usually spend Friday the 13th's with our friends watching cheesy B-rated horror movies. You know, the ones with ketchup for blood and where the actors are clearly reading off cue cards. We had a special treat in February and March with two in a row, but unfortunately we weren't able to coordinate the usual festivities. But I think karma was pissed we ignored the laws of nature not once, but twice, because she bit me hard.

As I traveled home on March 13th, I phoned Ell to ask about something I was supposed to get in the mail. She told me she hadn't checked the PO box, so I needed to do so before I went home. After I hung up, my brain hit the erase button and I headed down the side road towards home instead of heading into town to get the mail. As I drove down the hill towards a one lane bridge, out of the corner of my eye I noticed something falling. It was a large limb off a tree by the side of the road.

With cat quick reflexes I was swerving to try and miss the huge part of the tree falling across the road. In a split second I decided to take the brunt of the impact versus potentially rolling down the hill into a lower farm field. And hit it, it did. The tree was falling perpendicular to the road and I hit it with the front passenger side corner. I hit it hard enough to move the tree so it was only covering one lane. I pulled over to survey the damage and to catch my breath. A tree falling onto your vehicle is not something you can ever be prepared for.


Thankfully the damage wasn't too much (even though it'll cost almost $2600 to fix) and I always carry good insurance. I wasn't hurt at all and the truck was still able to be driven. So even though I'm in a crappy little rental this week, things could have been much worse. And I made a promise to Ell that the next time a Friday the 13th comes up, we are renting some really bad horror movies. No questions asked.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kimmy said...

I love bad horror movies!

So sorry about your car, but glad it wasn't worse than it was.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Kyle said...

how random... that really sucks

10:03 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Wow. You always hear those horror stories - and you wonder how you could have gotten 'lucky' enough to have not been able to miss that 2-3 seconds out of the day. I'm glad yours wasn't any more horrific.

It had to have been scary as all get out though!

10:55 PM  
Blogger HennHouse said...

Sorry about your truck, but what funny perspective you have!

9:55 AM  
Blogger *Austin Mommy* said...

HAHAHAHA!!

Sorry...maybe I shouldn't be laughing...

I, too, love the humor with which you tell such a tragic (although it could have gone a lot worse) story.

8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know, it all sounds a little fishy to me. Maybe he was checking out that cute girl and could necver tell that to his gorgeous wife so he made up a story about a random tree falling on a road no one travels ... hmmmm, still sounds a little fishy, don't ya think? But then again, if you know Sam well then you also know the fishing story about the deep lake diving fishing pole, so anything fishy is something I know precious little about. Sorry about the broken F150. Was she cute?
Love ya, Son,
Dad
PS. I did NOT teach him to watch horror movies any more than I taught him how to catch trout. I hate horror movies. OoOoOoOo night mares ...

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home