Tuesday, February 03, 2009

The first steps

This is my first week on the job running solo. For the last month I followed my predecessor (Betsy) around and tried to suck as much information out of her as I could. Admittedly, for both Betsy and I, that didn't work as well as we would have liked. Constant meetings, other's who depended on her, pending issues to be resolved, and a lingering seven-month-old audit kept dragging her away from me and our teaching/learning sessions. But despite all of that and a few bad days on my part, I'm walking in more aware and eyes-open to this job than any other I've started before. As ready as I wanted to be? No. But ready, nonetheless.

The weirdest part in the transition was learning when to assert my position. Working alongside the person you'll replace meant that everyone who answered to and worked with that person, only saw you as some random person in the room, if they saw you at all. Every email was addressed to Betsy even if I signed it, and every call that came over the line was directed to her as well. Please don't misunderstand me, recognizing her as the "go-to" was how it should have been, but during that time it was very hard to decipher my ownership of anything. Two days into the first week without Betsy in the office the change in tone and direction is obvious; a definite change from the awkwardness of last month.

Part of my duties today have been training a new Accounts Receivable person. As I stated already, I'm barely trained (at least in the area I'm being asked to guide), so I'm finding the old saying that goes, "You learn more by teaching than my being a student" is very true. I've made three or four decisions just this morning in areas I didn't even know existed yesterday. It also helps that the person I'm training is my friend, Megan. She's patient with my ignorance and just as nervous as I am. Don't tell anyone, but she seems to be cathcing on quicker than I did.

So that's life in The Way Station finance department. Each day is a new adventure and I already miss Betsy. Even though I wish her well in her next stage of life, a slight part of me wants her to continue to be my coworker, as selfish as that is. But her next page is better than this and a better fit for her skills, so (swallowing my tears) good luck and prayers for her. I mean that.

Well........ back to work.

5 Comments:

Blogger One of the Guys said...

I know you will be a great success and a huge ASSET (note the accounting speak).

God's speed my brother.

5:07 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Is that accounting speak or a reference to my weight?!
:-)

5:39 PM  
Blogger Kyle said...

spread those wings and fly, baby! you're a bearded hero... a beardo.

8:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You are always doing something new when I stop by. A new job is always scary! I agree that you learn best by teaching. If I have to teach someone else something I will first write the procedures step by step working it out as I go until I know everything about it. Good luck :)

10:15 PM  
Blogger PRS & ALS said...

Just wait until the practical jokes start! Look out!

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home