Thursday, January 29, 2009

A winter poem

As I gathered firewood during the winter storm that blew through Ohio yesterday, I was struck by how interesting the branches of our large Japanese Maple looked completely coated with ice. The sight of it inspired me to write a few lines of poetry in my head. When I finally came inside and sat down to complete the poem, it went way different than I intended. You see, when I write poetry I usually have a few lines or a theme to start with, but the bulk of the poem just flows as I put pen to paper. Well the flow yesterday turned quite somber; almost depressing, really. It was the exact opposite of my mood, which made Ell and I laugh hysterically when I shared it with her. I was in a great mood but the poem turned out strange and dark. I still like it, though.

Enough talking, here it is.

ICE
The trees are hugged with water
Frozen to their core
They shimmer in the blinding white
Bound to live no more

The winter bit quite hard this year
Its damage plain to see
Besides the trees and grass and land
The people are not free

A sadness hangs on every heart
Seen within their eye
The cold has stole their will to live
The white of snow a lie

I stomp my feet into the ice
I try to break its will
But it with power more than mine
A lasting struggle still

And so again this season wins
Its pain too much to bear
I sink into my couch and cry
I'll move one day I swear

2 Comments:

Blogger Dave and Betsy's Blog said...

wow...
that was depressing...

I've gotta get out of here...


-d

11:38 PM  
Blogger Swedish Mama said...

Good work Sam. Trust me, it isn't the, Spring wins.

If you move, I am sure your Dad will go with you--he hates winter as much as you.

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home