Saturday, November 22, 2008

Day twenty two

So the test is done. I'm comfortable with about half of it. The other half? Not so much; and either is my friend Betsy.We spent a good half hour complaining of how stupid and highly non-relative the test was. Only time will tell how I did. And then we'll have a new conversation.

On the same tone of Debby Downer, I have a sad story to tell. I was hesitating telling all y'all, but I've decided to share. Turn away if you don't want to cry.

Yesterday on the way to work, I came around a curve and saw a small little yippy dog standing in the front yard of a house. I slowed down in case the little yapper decided to run into the roadway. Some young punks were tailgating me on their way to school and I didn't want the little guy to get hit by them either. So as soon as I got beside where the dog was at in the yard, I beeped my horn to scare him so he'd run towards the house and away from the road.

In that instant, the worst thing happened. The beep did as I intended and scared the dog. But instead of running towards the house, it ran right in front of the car behind me. In a split second I saw him run into the road, blinked in horror, and saw the tiny dog spinning in circles across the roadway faster than I was driving. The dog stopped spinning only when it hit the frozen ground on the opposite side of the road, some couple hundred feet ahead of where it had been hit.

The punks behind me slowed down and it seemed for a split second they would do the right thing and go back, but they did not. I literally almost broke down into tears. On the way home I slowed way down to see of the dog had been found so I could take him to the houses around the area and give the people their dear pet. He was not to be found and I drove home in silent sadness.

Sorry to ruin your Saturday night. Hopefully no ones reads this rag today and tomorrow's post will make it disappear.

7 Comments:

Blogger GUYK said...

Yeah, it is sad. I have run over animals including dogs over the years..never intentionally and a couple of times I have darn near had an accident avoiding hitting the animals.

I love my dawgs. But I also understand the responsibility of keeping pets and one of those responsibilities is to keep them from wandering outside of a fence where they can get hurt, cause mischief, or cause someone to hurt themselves.

Animals do what animals do..and it is the pet keeper who should be run over...not the pet

7:33 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Good thoughts. I feel a little better about my actions now.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Kyle said...

I ran over a squirrel once. and a possum. but those are way not as bad as running over a dog... Good luck in hell!

10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sam - you have a loving heart. Hopefully the dog was just stunned, and was able to hobble home.

*mary*

12:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It is sad :( and as GUYK said, it is the owners fault, not yours that he got ran over. The puppy should not have been near the road. Poor baby had no idea of the danger there.

4:21 AM  
Blogger Kimmy said...

I'm mad that the dog was left unattended in the front yard in the first place.

Poor little guy.

Excuse me, while I go hug my precious puppy.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Chel said...

I accidentally hit a dog on Mothers day one year, with the whole family in the car, it was pretty sad, he was alive, but probably not for long, John took him to his owners house....bummer

6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home