Tuesday, October 28, 2008

highs & lows, all superficial

I'm not even sure why I watch football. Both of the teams I follow with decreasing loyalty lost over the weekend. Not just lose though, 'cause football teams lose, and win for that matter, all the time. But rather, they lost games they were winning and controlling. And they just so happened to do it on two of the days I was able to watch.

I used to watch NFL football all the time. Then I got married and found that sex on Sunday afternoons is way way better than watching a bunch of fat guys bump into each other. But I still held onto Saturday's spectrum of college football. A game without paid athletes; games worth watching. Ell always worked Saturday's, so I had the TV to myself. I would cut wood in the morning and come into a toasty house and kick my feet up in the lay-z-boy. Good times.

This season I've been working every weekend on the house so I've only watched two or three games, of either type. Usually my Wolverines never make it onto my local channels but Saturday they did. And the game was a huge in-state rivalry with Michigan State. They were winning, and then they lost. And I got to watch it. Sunday was no different as I watched (as Guy calls them) the Tampa Bay Chokes live up to their name. So really, why do I even bother?

OK, enough of the lows, now for the highs. I have a standing joke in my yard. Well, four of them actually. Two that say Obama and two that say McCain. Spaced and alternated evenly. Just the thought of people driving by wondering why both signs are in my yard, and the knowledge that it surely brings laughter to some families, is quite enjoyable to me.

We smoked a turkey Sunday. It's been a long time since I've been a part of that activity and it was loads of fun. As was the dinner that followed. Good friends, good bird, good ale, good conversation. Good, good, good.

My neighbors on the next hill over put up a wind turbine. My spirits were actually lifted as I saw it whirl to life giving back a little energy instead of spending. In that first moment I saw it released into the wind, all my usual Gen-X scepticism about cost of materials versus cost of coal, and all the other stuff I try to find answers to when I should just be accepting, flitted away as fast as the wind blew. It was so refreshing to my spirit to see those blades turning and giving the hope of an alternative. Praise God we have options.

I'm one weird dude sometimes.

6 Comments:

Blogger HennHouse said...

And your last statement pretty much sums it up.

BTW-you made Isaiah's day yesterday. He even dreamed about seeing you soon. You are such a good uncle.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Last statement sums it up indeed! You and your football dreams! I just wish you cared about football as much (or as little) as I did and then you would be a happy camper about all of it:) I am also suprised that our presidential signs in the front yard haven't been ripped down by a disgruntled fanatic!!!!

4:27 PM  
Blogger Melissa Blair said...

Really, Michigan? No sympathy of the football front. Go Bucks!

Love the bit about the campaign signs! I am sure that really gets the attention of passers by!

8:13 PM  
Blogger Birdie said...

Your weirdness is endearing.

8:56 PM  
Blogger Dave and Betsy's Blog said...

That smoked turkey rocked my world. I woke up today and looked over to find a big buffalo wing in my bed!!! Did that also happen to you???

8:40 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

Ummm, weird. Even weirder (and potentially gross) is I can't figure out who wrote this comment. If it was Dave, are you saying Betsy is a bit flighty today? Cuz that's just mean. But if the comment was from Betsy, it seems Dave had too many wings last night and, well, you have a mess to clean up.

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home