Monday, September 01, 2008

A couple good days

My "weekend in review" posts tend to be eye-numbing long, so how 'bout just the highlights? (Yeah, right.)

First of all, cars. Not a good topic right now. If anyone remembers my post from last year where I said that our cars always break down at the same time, but you doubted my statement, here's more proof.
  • Ell's Jetta won't start after she gets gas at the gas station. Once jumped it runs fine, but then won't start.
  • The GTI suddenly started running rough; wouldn't go more than 30 mph.
  • The truck blows a tire and I'm stranded in the middle of no-cell-service-where and with no tire iron.
  • I'm informed the GTI has no taillights rendering it useless after dark.

This all happened within seven days. Anyone still doubting?

One good note in that mess, I got to meet a nice old lady named Mildred who ignored social suggestions and answered the door when the big hairy stranger knocked on it. I know old people just need someone to talk to and that AAA takes forever, so we sat and chatted on her porch for twenty minutes. The coolest part was that she told me she answered the door because I looked like a, "Happy guy." Considering the frustration I was feeling at my present situation I took that as a great compliment.

After the tow truck showed up and changed my tire (talk about demasculanization) I made it home 2 1/2 hours after getting off work. Then we headed into clumsybanana to her brother's 30th birthday party. Someone had actually brought some good beer, so I just relaxed. That is until I was informed of the taillight thing. That was a fun drive home; especially with a cop following us.

Saturday, I met up with Jerry at the site where Dam 1 should have been on the canal. He had never seen the timbers, and only knew a few people who had. So we hiked down and located them. As he set up his camera, I hiked a little upstream and discovered more timbers. Then I found the opposite shore dam abutment. This had been thought to have been lost or dismantled and sold. I asked Jerry if he'd ever seen it or heard of it before, and he said no. So I had just found something that hadn't been seen or documented for over a hundred years. For a history buff, that's like finding buried treasure. Literally. It was a good day.

That afternoon we headed to Pittsburgh. We ate at The Church Brew Works we'd heard so much about. It's what it sounds like... an old church which has been converted into a brewery and restaurant. We sat up by the alter and I started off my meal with a six beer sampler. I could have drank my dinner, because their brews are sooooooo good. After that we walked Carson St.; the hip place to enjoy night life in the 'Burgh. The coolest thing I saw or we did was go to a coffee shop called, The Bee Hive. (I just talked to Dave about this on Tuesday...) When I was in my early twenties I drew up a business proposal to start a coffee shop. When I walked into The Bee Hive, I was blown away. It was as if someone had stolen my yellow legal pad and opened my shop. I loved it and wish I could visit there everyday.

Sunday we went to the Pirates game. While my Pirates lost, I got to watch the best pitcher in the major leagues, CC Sabathia, pitch a complete game. That was cool to see.

Today is a holiday, so I'm sitting at the Encore. Heading home soon to do some dishes and laundry, end enjoy my day off. It's been a good weekend.

13 Comments:

Blogger Kimmy said...

Sounds like an awesome weekend!

The Encore is open today? Drat! I didn't think it would be, and I just sent Kevin out to buy a can of coffee, when here I could of had theirs!

11:55 AM  
Blogger Swedish Mama said...

The tire iron is under the hood, yes, under the hood.

12:32 PM  
Blogger drifter said...

sorry we didn't mention the back lights on the GTI, they have been out since at least last tue. night - I thought you knew. About all the cars breaking down, I know where you can get a great sports luxury vehical (my apologies to those on the outside of this inside joke)

Glad you liked the Church brew works. We really need to go to the Sharp Edge together. It doesn't have the Church's ambience, but 65 taps is a b-e-a-u-tiful thing

2:47 PM  
Blogger Kyle said...

i've been to both the church brew works and the sharp edge and i must say that they are both awesome places.

as for the car situation, you should probably just start walking to work...
sounds like a pretty bittersweet, eventful weekend.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Liked hearing about your weekend. I'm feeling like I'm the only one who hasn't been to the Church Brew Works.

10:40 PM  
Blogger Dave and Betsy's Blog said...

Sam,
I can now say I am glad I didn't borrow your truck to go to MI. Although we may have gotten the tires changed by then (and in turn you would have never gotten the flat yourself). So, I guess I wish I HAD taken your truck after all. Although... you would not have met Mildred and had that wonderful conversation. So, I guess I'm glad I didn't borrow your truck. But... if I had borrowed it and had changed the tires, you wouldn't have been demasculanized by that pesky AAA guy (manly jerks). So, I guess I wish I HAD borrowed it.
AAAANYWAYS.....
Oh, I noticed your tail lights last Tuesday. Sorry I forgot to tell you (although I thought it was some kind of sweet Ohio-car-pimping-technique I had not yet seen, and I wanted to seem "hip").
How cool was it to find those timbers!!?? Man, I wish I could have been there too. As a former History major and fantasy archeologist, I resonate with your excitement.

Anywho...
You da man.
-Dave

10:41 PM  
Blogger Chel said...

Sam-
Sounds like you better call John Boy, it is time for Dr. VW....

Just went to the Church Brew and Carson Street Friday! Missed you guys by a day! I have to admit I felt a little old on Carson street, although Vic and I both got carded, so that was sweet, considering Lyndsay will be 20 years old this month!

Chel

10:49 PM  
Blogger Paul Dazet said...

Sam,
Sorry about the car stuff man. I don't know anything about cars - so keep me away from yours. :)

Thanks for sharing your life with us - I appreciate you man!

BTW - I have not been to Church Brew Works either - when are we all going?

Paul

7:46 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

Just so I don't look like a fool, the tire iron my Mom said was under the hood was instead the tool used to lower the spare tire. I had found that and had already lowered the spare when the tow truck arrived.

My Mom called and recalled her comment last night. Isn't that nice of her? :-)

11:18 AM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

I was wondering why you called a tow truck instead of your mom. I'm glad to have that straightened out! ;p

11:52 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

I tagged you! Sorry, I don't have seven people to tag, so I just tagged the ones I do have.

4:28 PM  
Blogger vic said...

Yep, I love the beehive too!

Ok, it's true, I just didn't want to be left out of commenting since it's obviously the thing to do.

I do love the beehive, though...

9:38 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

It's awesome, right? (Not even hiding from a suggestive tone as I prepare to say...) I wish someone would open something cool like that around here. Maybe a pub of sorts. Wouldn't that be great? Huh, Vic, wouldn't it?

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home