Thursday, July 24, 2008

Extremely stupid

I love oxymoron's. They intrigue me, really. I mean, in the cultures of old when language and grammar were developing, were these phrases really the best they could come up with to describe what they were trying to say? What about inventing another word, or rephrasing like terms? Anything. But then we wouldn't have anything to talk about, would we? Here's a list of some good ones. Feel free to add more.

Of course we must start with the classic, Jumbo Shrimp.
  • Divorce Court
  • Bad luck
  • Active retirement
  • Dry Ice
  • Fresh Frozen
  • Headbutt
  • Radio Show
  • Fine mess
  • Paid volunteer
  • Same difference
  • Numb feeling
  • Civil War
  • Down escalator
  • Bittersweet
  • Plastic glasses
  • Junk food
  • Soft rock
  • Elevated Subway
  • Fail safe
  • Awfully good
  • War games
  • Only choice

Any more you can think of?

12 Comments:

Blogger HennHouse said...

You are so funny!

I love "civil war." I never thought of that as an oxymoron before.

What about "seriously funny."

10:25 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I've always loved "constructive criticism".

11:01 AM  
Blogger Kimmy said...

alone together
appear invisible

11:15 AM  
Blogger Sweet Peripety said...

sweet tart

11:44 AM  
Blogger Sweet Peripety said...

and because I am trying to pass a little time thinking of other things....
pretty ugly
second best
true fiction
false hope
deafening noise
freezer burn
found missing
original copy
virgin mother
adult children

11:52 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

Those are great, Amy. I was going to do a Friday Funny, but these additions are good enough for a laugh. Thanks for adding them.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Bucephallus said...

In my job I have a new favorite oxymoron
leftover cookies

I also have a couple of favorite redundancies:
I know people who say " And, also, too,..."
The La Brea Tarpits
The The Tar Tarpits

12:08 PM  
Blogger Sweet Peripety said...

original copy is my personal fav. I think it's so stupid! LOL!

9:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ha, these are funny. I have nothing to add but I had a good laugh.

11:34 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Wow! So good to see your name, Faye. Welcome back.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

The only one I can add right now is -

jumbo shrimp

since "Close To Home" got the other ones I thought of!

"lost and found" always seemd like an oxymoron to me - though it's close to expressions like "open and shut" and "in and out" but it's technically a little different.

But I did think of a couple of "redundancies" -
"bare naked"
"past due"

Hey - maybe you could do a blog on "misnomers and redundancies" like -
"false start" seems to be a "misnomer" how can the "start" be determined as false unless it was started?.

And speaking of words that don't go well together - I think these words should not be allowed together:
"fast food"
"express checkout"
"waterproof tent"

9:08 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

I always thought Boston Cream Pie and Cheese Cake were "oxymorons" of sorts - Boston Cream Pie sure looks like a cake to me. And a cheese cake has a crust and the process of making one and its looks seem more like a pie than a cake to me. (This really confused me when I was 6 years old!)

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home