Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Slowtoke # 5 original

Yesterday a package arrived in my PO box. I hurried home and after carefully cutting the packing tape, I opened the box and pulled out a red velvet bag (nice touch, btw). Inside was something I only vaguely recognized.

I had recently made a deal with one of the brothers on CPS to purchase his fifth attempt at a hand carved pipe. From the pictures I was expecting a smaller bowled pipe, more reminiscent of, say, a Peterson Donnegal. Well, I was pleasantly surprised. Folks, let me tell you, this pipe is much bigger than the pictures suggest. I have big hands and long fingers, and despite those two facts I couldn't touch the tips of my thumb and middle finger around the girth of the bowl. And one more thing, it's also more gorgeous in person than in print.

I took it with me to the guys Bible Study I lead, and then to one of our friend's house afterwards. As I pulled out the red velvet bag (again, nice touch), the porch we were sitting on fell silent. I slowly uncovered first the coal black and snow white stem, and then the fire grained-opposite-birdseye apple/tomato shaped bowl. After it was passed around (and smudged up with 10 sets of fingerprints) I wiped it down and Frank-Method filled it with a healthy dose of Frog Morton On The Town.

I can honestly say, I've never smoked a larger bowled pipe, and I've never smoked a single pipe for a longer space of time. As usual, I had difficulty getting the FMOTT lit. Once I did though, and had a nice flat ash across the top, I only re-lit once over an hour and 45 minute smoke. It was one of my top five most memorable smokes of all time. Good friends, Great Lakes beer, good conversation, good tobacco, and an amazing pipe. Thanks, Wayne. You are a true craftsman. The check's in the mail.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

I'll post a picture soon.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

pictures we demand pictures!!

11:43 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

I agree! Pictures please!!!

4:19 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

I can't access the pics he posted on CPS while I'm here at work. Dang firewalls and something about "work related activity" and such. Anywho, I'll link up some pics when I get on the internet somewhere else away from the prison.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Nice pipeage. It is a pretty sweet one. I'm glad your enjoying it so much!

10:08 AM  
Blogger kimw said...

Oooooh, pretty!

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home