Thursday, June 26, 2008

Marriage and Divorce stats

I know I said I wouldn't be around for awhile, but I wanted to share this.

On the way home from work yesterday I was listening to the West Virginia NPR station. (I enjoy a good West Virginia joke as much as the next guy, but working so close you get a different, more serious, take on the folks who live there. That can be for the good or the bad.) They stated that the West Virginia state Marriage/Divorce statistics were out for calendar year, 2007. Here are the highlights...
  • For the sixth consecutive year, the total number of marriages as well as divorces has fallen in West Virginia
  • The oldest man to be married: 96
  • The oldest woman to be married: 89
  • The youngest man to be married: 16
  • The youngest woman to be married: 14
  • The oldest woman to get divorced: 82
  • The youngest woman to get divorced: 13
  • Longest marriage to end divorced: 56 years

Alright, now there are some obvious things to be discussed, but I'll leave that to you. What do you think about these stats?

6 Comments:

Blogger HennHouse said...

14?

13?

I don't think I had my first kiss until 14 or 15. And as much as I liked that experience, I definitely WASN'T ready for marriage!

How do you stay married for 56 years and then get divorced?

How is your time with your friends going? Praying for you (and them, but mostly you and Laura), brother.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Melissa Blair said...

Yup..Sounds like at least 50% of my West Virginia family. Although my parents were 17 and 18 when they got married in West Virginia, and have been married for 39 years. I guess we missed some of the statistics :)

11:17 AM  
Blogger Kyle said...

I don't know which statistic is the most sad. perhaps the first one. why is it that people don't want to get married any more?

I wonder how ohio compares.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

Cynthia meant to leave this comment here not on the last post:
Cynthia said...
ok, maybe I am being ignorant, or maybe I just missed something, but how can the youngest girl to get married be 14 and the youngest divorce be 13? How can there be a divorce without a marriage?

1:17 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Cynthia, these numbers are for 2007 only. So if the youngest divorced girl in 2007 was 13, that means she got married in 2006 at 12 (or even younger) and got divorced in 2007 at 13. Hopefully that makes more sense. (The answer, not the situation.)

1:20 PM  
Blogger Sweet Peripety said...

wacky.

10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home