Monday, January 14, 2008

One week down

I think Zoooooooooma (Chris) may be on to something. Maybe the best thing isn't to shy away from what's going on in my life just for the sake of not boring readers. Maybe talking about things as they happen would be a nice way to keep you all informed and to keep me out of the loony bin. My depressed state of a couple weeks ago is gone, so an every-so-often dose of info couldn't kill anyone, right?

So here's how my week went, in a word........ weird. I came into this branch with the assumption that I was making a lateral move and my position wasn't going to change. Turns out the only thing that didn't change was my title. This branch is staffed in an awkward way, with an over abundance of top-heaviness. So that left some gaps in strange places that it's now clear are going to be my job to fill in. So over the course of 5 days I worked the desk, the teller line, the detached drive-thru, marketing placement, small business officer, meeting planner, meeting supervisor, supply ordering, security trainer, and janitor. Yikes Andy!

The whole thing was crazy. Like I said in my last post, it seems that most of the people in the branch know I'm not here for keeps. So everyone has kind of kept their distance. But with me having to be in each and every person's business at least once during the week, there had to be some personal interaction at least once. So I decided to make some proactive efforts towards that end. In an understated psychological way I let each person know I wasn't going to step on their toes and I didn't want to disturb the peace or the flow they had. But at the same time, they needed to know I had to be involved and that the expertise I brought would help them rather than hurt. It seemed to work well. Once they opened up and allowed me into their personal space, I discovered they are all really nice people.

I still miss the ladies at my old branch, but I can make this work too. The situation would have been really bad if the people sucked. They don't, so at least my daily interactions are now pleasant and kind. That makes life easier. One problem down.

Second problem is time. Covering so many positions, many of them overlapping the next, I've had no time to set up my office or get my own duties accomplished. In the process of asserting my presence, I need to make my time part of the picture too. That's proving to be a little harder because no one sees me as their boss. Even though I'm still the Office Manager, meaning everyone answers to me, I won't be here forever. That realization that my status is temporary causes them to completely skip me and go above my head to my boss. Because in the end, he'll still be here and I won't. I see where their brains are and I understand their thought processes, and as such I can't blame them for their actions. Somehow I have to find a way to assert my priorities without making too many waves or enemies.

One more thing, there have been 2 incidents where someone accidentally mentioned my tentative position in the branch. Both times the people were left with their foot in their mouth. What would that have done to me two weeks ago? Tears and a self pity party. Now? Laughter and a smile. They are stuck with me for a little while, and if that makes them uncomfortable or off balance then I'm glad I'm not the only one. And it makes me happy. I still have my job and I still have my sanity, and I'm making the most of both.

All in all, besides the daily loss of 2 hours, this thing isn't too bad. Still looking for another job because I must, but a bit more at peace with the situation at hand.

5 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

I'll come in there and tell those ladies who's BOSS! Yeah biznatch! Anywho...If you need help setting up your personal space I will come down and help you! We will make it all pretty and professional with pink roses and sharp pencils. I don't know where I am going with that but to say that I am glad that you are taking on this challenge with confidence and a sense of humor. I know that the time that you have there will be productive and at the end of it those ladies aren't going to want to see you go! But too bad for them you will find something better than that crummy branch to drive to everyday!

1:04 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

I like the idea of pink roses in sam's office.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Kyle said...

im glad your new branch is bearable. It is good to hear that you are finding a bit of joy in the situation. Any cute single tellers for our buddy Bradford?

10:42 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

No such luck, Kyle. Everyone here is mid 50's and even worse, one of them is a guy. He had his chance with Traci at my last branch, but they both blew that ill-fated romance. :-)

8:00 AM  
Blogger Andrew said...

I miss your ladies too.......What? yikes Andy!

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home