Monday, December 31, 2007

One more page

Two years and nine months ago I walked into this office for the first time. And in five minutes I'll be walking out of it forever. I know that time frame doesn't seem very long, but for me it is. When I go somewhere, I put all of me into that place. This little corner office was no different.

Leaving anywhere for the final time is very emotional for me. When we locked the door on our first house to move to the one we now own, I cried. I made certain I was the last one to walk through my Dad's church before they shut it down. I was the last car to pull away from the house I grew up in when my parents moved to Columbus. After the last truckload of stuff was hauled out of it, I spent a good half hour walking around the shop that my Dad and I had built with our own hands. And even now, tears are in my eyes as I type this.

I'm usually fine with the big things in life, but it's the little things that destroy me. When I walk out of this office, it won't be pretty. The thing that makes this one hurt a little more is that I'm not walking out under my own control. I'm being kicked out. Evicted. Barred from returning. This is not a decision I made on my own. I am a victim of the corporate machine. And I hate it.

But life is not over. I am still alive, I am still strong, and I am not alone. My friend Kyle sent me a simple text today to say he was praying for me. My wife sent me one to say she loved me. My friend Chip called to see how the day was going. And my Dad called to see if I was alright. I am so very thankful for these people, and all the others that have had me in their thoughts the past week or so. Thank you all.

So one more chapter is closed in my life and I have no idea what the next one is going to be like. But I'm ready. I'm scared, but I'm ready.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kyle said...

Well, broseph, I too hate that you are getting worked by the corporate machine and can't really do much of anything about it. it seems like corporate greed gets even the best companies. God bless america...

7:49 PM  
Blogger Laura G. Young said...

Hello Sam,

Haven't stopped by your blog in a long while, but I just wanted to say that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

I know you probably realize this, but just remember that even though we seem to be blundering about, "seeing through a glass darkly", etc., our purpose is still crystal clear.


Hang in there,

Laura

2:17 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I, too, am in the banking industry (on the lower end of the scale) and I completely understand what you are saying. There is a reason for everything that happens, even though we don't always understand what it is.

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home