Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Chilling in Minnehaha

It's 10:30 on Wednesday morning and Ell and I are sitting in a little coffee shop in downtown Minneapolis, sipping on some coffee, listening to an old black guy play piano. Pretty cool. We got into Minneapolis Monday around noon after spending all day Sunday at Lollapalooza in Chicago. I think I'm going to steal a page from Zoooma's book (and Rob's) and do a review of all the bands we saw at Lolla, but not today. Not in the right vibe for that right now.

We went down to the 35W bridge site last night. It's a pretty sobering image. I wasn't even sure I wanted to see it, but as Andrew put it, it's history and we needed to experience it. Yeserday, the Navy showed up with divers and pulled two cars out that had been unreachable by the local sheriff's diving team. And they found a car that they didn't even know was down there. (And that meant a body they didn't know about either.) Zoooma wrote a great piece on his blog about the craziness of the media attention this thing has gotten. And I agree with him. When major news people show up, it's not for the benefit of the people or the story even. It's all about the ratings. Nothing like profiting at the expense of people's death, huh? Anyway, enough whining from me. That doesn't help anyone either.

Ell and I rode the train (which they call the Light Rail) from downtown out to the Mall of America. One of the stops was called "Minnehaha" which we chuckled about. The Mall is crazy. An amusement park in the middle, four floors of stores, the world's largest underground aquarium, and to the delight of Ell: a three story Old Navy store. Let's just say, we spent a bit of time and money with the nice folks at Old Navy. It made Ell smile, and that makes me smile. We went to dinner last night with Andrew and Lyndsay and then walked around the Uptown district. Ell is doing a lot of research for her new cafe gig, so we got to check out a bunch of places. Being with A & L is so much fun, but it's going too fast. So I'm gonna get back to hanging out with them. Peace.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kimmy said...

But, how's the weather there?

11:02 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Sunny and in the 90's baby. I'm loving it.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Kimmy said...

Oh goodie, just like here. Enjoy!

7:50 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Sounds like a good trip, safe travels.

Thanks for sharing your experience at the bridge. It hits is a much more real way then coming from CNN or the such.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Sweet Peripety said...

Ohh I'd LOVE to go to the Mall of AMerica. Glad you are having a good time.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Zoooma said...

Yikes, even though it's the biggest mall in the land, and would be an experience, I'm not sure I could go there... or to any mall. As a former Jersey mallrat, I'm pretty much malled out and now I've gotta stop thinking and typing that word!

It's always different to see the site of a tragedy up close & personal vs. from a television. I got a huge slap in the face when I went to volunteer in New Orleans about a year and a half ago. I was blown away from what was on TV and from seeing it in person, well... basically no words can describe even to this day. Same with Ground Zero.

Nice city, though - Minneapolis. I hope I get back someday when I kayak the Mississippi (no plans yet but one of these days!)

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home