Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Story pt.4 and Explain

One more time about our songs. To those of you who in part or wholly disagreed with me, thank you for stretching my thoughts. To those of you who agreed with me, see you in Heaven. ;-)

Anyway, some final thoughts both ways and I'll let the topic rest. Part of Dictionary.com's definition of worship supports both thought streams:
6. to render religious reverence and homage to.
7. to feel an adoring reverence or regard for (any person or thing.)
In definition, it looks like both ways can be effective. And as many of you said, that's how you look at it. My point for bringing up the topic was that I feel all elements of our worship service should be done with the express purpose of praising and glorifying God, centering on Him alone. When it comes to our songs, is God/Jesus/Holy Spirit the focal point for every one? If not, then something needs to change. When we sing songs like Let's praise His name, but we never actually mention His name or take our worship to the next level of actually recognizing that His name can heal and save and fulfill, I can't help but think our time's being wasted. Like I said, I'm no musician or singer, so I want to present my offering of song in the best way I possibly can. God doesn't ask us to be perfect (in fact he delights in whatever we give Him) but He does want us to do it with the right heart. And for me, when my expressed purpose is praising my Heavenly Father, you better believe I'm going to be saying those words directly to Him not to the people around me.

I've been struggling a bit with the content of my (if they can truly be called) controversial posts. My struggle is that I never want us as believers to get too focused on debate and semantics that we take our eyes of God. And I sometimes wonder if the discussion on eleven does that. I'm sure Satan delights when we as believers ramble on about this or that religious/churchy thing and forget to spend time with our Savior. But at the same time, I'm sure Satan delights when we just go with the flow and never question anything. Which is why I write what I write and ask what I ask. As Christians we need to be careful of the Deceiver and his lies. He sends those lies into every aspect of our lives, even our churches and families. Beware, says the Lord in Proverbs. Be watchful and aware. In the 21st Century, that watchfulness is most prevalent in our knowledge. And that is my desire. Be it ever-so a selfish desire, I want your opinions and ideas and arguments so that my faith is made strong. And I hope that mine and others do the same for you.

I said all that to say this... please know I don't want to be an ambassador for the devil and his lies. I don't want my debatable posts to shift our focus away from God and onto rules and regulations. I want them to be beneficial for the building up of our Faith. Please take what I write as such.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sweet Peripety said...

I like how you bring up hot topics. Keep on doing it...just don't do one on depression LOL That one is tooooo close to home for me!

9:07 AM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

I think it's good to stimulate the conversation and make people think outside of their box a bit!

I also think that as much as I like to be told that Adam, or anyone, thinks good of me, I also like to hear Adam tell other people that I'm okay...But, I guess this has been hashed and rehashed and...there are at least 2 sides to every pancake...no matter how flat they are! :p

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home