Monday, September 04, 2006

The big FIVE-OH, 50 to you simple folks

This is the 50th entry to this little rag of mine. Quite an accomplishment if I do say so myself.

I wanted to thank those of you who sent me encouragement for what Ell and I are currently going through. Since we were such an intregal part of the leadership of the church in more than one way, we aren't done yet. I have another meeting with the kids and a meeting with the church leadership. They want to do a pseudo Exit-Interview with me to discuss what went wrong so they don't make the same mistakes again. In a perfect world that would be a great idea. But unless it's possible to replace some of the personnel or to at least change their attitudes and personalities, nothing will change. The church will continue to ignore the importance of the youth, and that church and the Kingdom of God will lose kids year after year. I simply want to be able to stand before God when I die and have him say "Job well done!" If I had stayed in that position, I'm not sure I could be sure I would here that.

Well enough of that stuff. That wicked illegal alien named Ernesto paid my garden a visit over the weekend. My cherry tomatoes are about 2 feet taller than in the pictures my sister took. So when that wind kicked up from the wrong direction and kept blowing for two days, it broke my trellis right off at the ground. All five poles just snapped and the plants came crashing down. Nothing happened to the 'maters, but when they fell they landed on top of my brussel sprouts and some of my kale. I got to them quick enough and both should be alright minus a few leaves.

Today was a good garden-eating day. Today was one of those ten paid holidays us bank schmucks get off, and so I spent almost the whole day in the garden. I turned all three of my compost beds, did some weeding, and harvested some bounty. I picked two golden beets that were each about 12 inches long and bigger around than I could reach with both of my hands. I picked about 8 oxheart carrots, some lettuce, and one onion bigger than a softball. Then I cut them all up along with some red-skin potatoes, 4 thumb-sized cloves of garlic out of the garden, and added some olive oil. Ell put in some spices I didn't pay attention to, and we stuck it in the oven for about an hour. Oh my word did it taste good. And we made enough that I'll get to take it to work for 2 or 3 days. Have I ever mentioned I love having my very own grocery store in my backyard? It sure is awesome!

Well, anyway...........Hope everyone had a good Labor Day and you didn't have to "labor" too hard. Evening..........

2 Comments:

Blogger GUYK said...

# 50 ? Wow You don't have much to say, huh? No, that is not it..you are just as not as full of it as I am. I had fifty up the first week I started and have close to 4,000 now, 13 monthes later. But then sweetthing has told me a jillion times I am full of it.

7:41 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

I don't think I'll ever be able to compare to the level of your ramblings Guy. Someday I'd love to try though! It sure would be fun!

8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home