Thursday, August 17, 2006

My week

This has officially been the longest streak in my short life of blogging without a post. I feel dirty.

So here is what has been happening in my life since we last talked. All last week Ell and I were preparing for our big party. I took Friday off to do final preparations for it, as well as for my birthday. In my entire 14 years in the job force, I have only worked one time on my birthday. Some people take off the first day of Summer or the day after Thanksgiving, I always take my birthday off. Or in this case, the day before. My little sister came up on Wednesday with her two little rugrats(which I love!) to help us get ready. The party kicked off with a cool breeze that left people scrambling for sweatshirts and flannels, but it made for a perfect evening around the bonfire. As for attendance, there were about 15 people who we really thought would be coming that never showed up. But even with that, the final tally of guests was 49. A pretty good number I think. We had great food, played horseshoes until well after dark (which was interesting) played some poker, watched the meteor shower, and stayed up all night talking around the fire. I didn't make it all night which I was a little disappointed with. I just couldn't stay awake. I think I was so beat from getting everything ready during the day. I should have napped!

We spent Saturday cleaning up, seeing my sister off, and sleeping. Bright and early Sunday morning we headed up to Lakeside. Ell and I took a few days of work off to spend a little R&R with each other. Lakeside is definitely the place for that. We slept in, played some shuffleboard, spent quality time with some of our best friends, ate too much, played some tennis(I lost miserably to my wife but it was fun,) and got to see my friend Chip Richter do a concert with world-renowned fiddle player Ed Gainer. It was only two days but it was so much fun. Tuesday I took the youth group on a canoe trip on the Mohican River in Central Ohio. Again, a lot of fun. Tuesday night we took one of our younger couple-friends to the new Quaker Steak & Lube in Austintown, Ohio for all you can eat wings. If you have never been to a Lube, you are missing out. The wings are great and the atmosphere is even better! My only problem was that I hadn't eaten any meat all summer. And to break that fast with 49 hot, saucy, spicy, greasy, skin covered wings may not have been the best choice. I felt so bad yesterday. Not sick or upset-stomachy, just weird. My body wasn't ready for that kind of re-introduction to the meat group.

I want to let everyone know that the much-requested pics of my garden are coming soon. My sister has a really nice digital camera, and she took a lot of pictures this weekend. So she is going to do a guest spot here on "eleven" and post some pictures. Look for it soon.

One last thing..........there seems to have been a lost episode of a Friday Funny due to my non-posting. It has been recovered from the archives (actually one of my kids sent it to me yesterday, thanks B!) So you guys don't go into withdrawal, I'll share it with you now...........

Lost Friday Funny
The Lone Ranger and Tonto went camping in the desert. After a long day of riding they pitched their tent and both men fell fast asleep.

Some hours later, Tonto woke the Lone Ranger and said, "Kemo Sabe, look towards sky, what you see?"

The Lone Ranger replied, "I see millions of stars."
"What that tell you? asked Tonto.

The Lone Ranger pondered the question for a minute then said, "Astronomically speaking, it tells me there are millions of galaxies and billions of planets. Astrologically it tells me that Saturn is in Leo. Time wise is appears to be approximately quarter past three in the morning. Theologically it means the Lord is all powerful and we are small and insignificant. Meteorologically, it seems we will have beautiful day tomorrow."

"What does it tell you, Tonto?"

"It tells me you dumber than buffalo chips. Someone stole our tent!"

Have a great day everyone!

6 Comments:

Blogger kimw said...

HA HA HA! Good Friday Funny on a Thursday!
By the way, why did you name your blog "Eleven"? I was just curious. It's my all-time favorite number!

9:07 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

For no apparent reason, a few years back I started a little joke of answering 11 whenever someone asked a question that required a numbered answer. It was annoying at first for most but quickly grew into pretty funny joke for those that knew me well. I kind of let it slide last year but have since revived it with the new batch of kids I just got. And yes, still really funny.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Kimmy said...

Sam, I didn't know it was your birthday! You almost missed out on your birthday blog points. A very happy belated birthday to you and 50 blog points.

Also, very sorry to have missed your party last Friday, it sounds like it was great fun!

And you've officially made me hungry for wings:-)

10:37 AM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

I have to agree with Kim, that was the best Friday Funny on Thursday.

And, of course, a big, Happy, late Birthday!

12:18 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Oh, wings! Thanks Sam, that's the last thing I needed, another craving. We've been wanting to go to the new Lube, was it real crowded?

1:55 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

You have no idea how busy it was Beth. If you have ever been to the original one in Sharon on a Tuesday night in the summer you know that you'll wait outside for an hour or more just to get a table. This place was just as busy if not busier. I think once the craze dies down from it being a new restaurant it will calm down a bit. But don't go now unless you don't mind standing around for a long time!

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home