Friday, June 23, 2006

Red or Blue

I'm feeling very political today. I hadn't been able to read Guy's site since Tuesday, and since he posts more than anyone I know, I took an hour this morning to catch up. But now I think I may have some Charming overload. So hat's off to Guy for the following couple points.

Distorted Priorities
Five million of our older Americans have not signed up
yet for their Medicare, Part D, drug plan--they are old
and confused. We are not going to grant them an extension.

However, 12 million illegal aliens are in our country and
we are going to allow them to stay, protest, procreate,
receive support monies, attend schools, avoid paying
income taxes, have our teachers take 300 hours of ESOL
(English as a second language) training at our expense, etc.

WE MUST REALLY DISLIKE OUR OLD PEOPLE!
OR WE MUST REALLY LOVE TACOS!

I know this isn't my usual ranting, but this was too good to pass up. One added point of my own on this topic: I have a real problem with the language thing. As I was growing up I heard my Mom on many occasions talk about her grandparents coming to America on their honeymoon. They were Scandinavian. Once they learned the English language, they never again spoke their old language. And even though my Mom was a bit angry that she didn't get to learn it and hear them speak it, she realized that her grandparents were making their choice for a good reason. They had decided that they could have a better life here in the US than their life in Sweden and Denmark. They saw that America held more opportunity and promise for them and their children. And so they became Americans and raised their children as Americans. Not Danish-Americans or Swedish-Americans; Americans. I have nothing wrong with holding my anscestory or heritage high, in fact our family to this day still celebrates and enjoys many Swedish traditions and foods. But that doesn't make me Swedish by anything else than my background and bloodline. I am American and proud of it. And just like my Great-Grandparents would have wanted, I speak English. When people say they want to remember and respect their heritage and history, maybe they should go back and take a look at what their anscestors actually wanted for them. I think they'd have a real eye-opener.

The same goes for the Mexican people. I really don't have any issue whatsoever with them wanting to live here. It's a great country with a lot to offer. But if that's what they want they are to become Americans like the rest of us and that includes speaking our language. No exceptions. Period.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

Preach it Sam

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home