Thursday, June 08, 2006

How my garden grows

One of my greatest stress relievers is working in my garden. I love to go out every night after work and watch the new stuff coming up, weed a bed or two, pick a few things for dinner, or just sit in a rocking chair and smoke my pipe. It's hard work sometimes, but it fills me with pride when I get to show it off to company. Along that idea, I thought I'd share with you some of the things I am growing this year.

2 kinds of paste tomatoes for sauce and salsa
2 kinds of cherry tomatoes for eating and for color
4 kinds of hot peppers to make our famous Hot Mustard
2 kinds of mild peppers for eating and cooking
1 carrot variety
1 variety of leaf lettuce
1 mesclun mix for fresh salads
brussell sprouts for fresh veggies this fall
golden beets
white garlic for salsa, cooking, and next year's garden
giant white onions
1 variety of English leeks
Asparagus
1 new variety of edible sunflower
yellow wax beans for canning and eating
black beans for drying
canteloupe
black zuccinni
yellow zuccinni
2 kinds of fall squash

And the one thing I am trying for the first time and am most excited about: Shcerazi tobacco. It had pretty poor germination, but I have 4 healthy plants which I will be transplanting soon. Each plant produces up to 10,000 seeds, and tobacco needs a whole year to acclimate to the soil, so next years crop should be amazing.

We are growing a few other things I am forgetting this morning, and 10-20 herb varieties as well. Sometime in the future I will get on my soapbox and rant about how chemicals are ruining farming and how much healthier and cheaper it would be to grow organic, that is chemical free. But that is for another time.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kimmy said...

Sam, you have a blog! Obviously you knew that, but I didn't. I think it is quite about time you have one, I'm much looking forward to finally reading more than just your comments. Big welcome!!

Oh, and that hot mustard sounds great!

11:01 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

The tobacco will be used for pipe smoking. I doubt I will get much this year, but next year should be great.

8:08 AM  
Blogger HennHouse said...

my Tim just finished his jar of hot mustard that you gave him last year. I'll pay you for a case of it-- he loves it so much.

nice blog.

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home